Basic Moving Checklist
- Begin removing unwanted or unneeded items from home attic, garage, basement or storage
- Donate items. Remember to collect receipts for tax purposes.
- Forward or cancel any monthly services, subscriptions or memberships
- Check to make sure you have returned all borrowed items including video rentals and library books.
- Keep the following supplies handy for packing: Boxes, marking pen, bubble wrap, newspaper and/or tissue, packing tape, tape measure and scissors
- Use strong boxes and containers that can be secured tightly. Purchase special boxes for dishes, your wardrobe
and other delicate items.
- Avoid loading more than 50 pounds into one box.
- Label each box and indicate the following: (a) The contents and designated room (b) Whether it is fragile (c) if it should be loaded last so it will be unloaded first.
- Pack books tightly in small boxes. If musty smelling, sprinkle talcum powder between the pages and wrap the book before packing. Leave stored for a couple of months to eliminate the smell.
- Have rugs and draperies cleaned before moving and leave them in wrappings.
- Carry all valuables and medicines with you.
One Month Before Moving
- Fill out change of address order form. Get it from the Post office.
- Fill out an IRS change of address form.
- Make arrangements with moving company or reserve a rental truck.
- Make travel arrangements, if necessary, with airlines, buses, car rental agencies and hotels.
- Transfer memberships in churches, clubs and civic organizations.
- Obtain medical and dental records, x-rays and Prescription histories. Ask doctor and dentist for referrals and transfer Prescription(s).
If Moving Out of Town:
- Check into the laws and requirements of your new city regarding home-based businesses, professional tests, business licenses and any special laws that might be applicable to you.
- Take inventory of your belongings before they’re packed, in the event you need to file an insurance claim later. If possible, take pictures or video tape your belongings.
- Record serial numbers of electronic equipment.
- Make arrangements for transporting your pets. Or make arrangements with a kennel or a friend until you have completed your move, if necessary.
- Start using up food items, so that there is less left to pack and possibly spoil.
Moving Company/Do It Yourself Tips
- Get an estimate from the moving company. Make sure the amount is written in the contract.
- Inquire about their on-time record and other complaints with the local Better Business Bureau or consumer complaints department.
- Ask about expected gratuities and make sure it’s a part of the contract.
- Be sure all charges are listed on contract.
- Be sure your name and address and other information is correct on the contract.
- Watch loading and unloading and examine all items carefully before signing a receipt.
- If you are renting a truck to move yourself, make sure you are clear with the pickup location, time and the expected time to return the truck to the company.
- Consider renting a POD or contact a storage rental facility.
One to Two Weeks Before Moving
- Make backup copies of important files on your computer before packing it up.
- Switch utility services to new address. Inform electric, disposal, water, newspaper, magazine subscription, telephone and cable companies of your move.
- Arrange for help for moving day.
- Confirm travel reservations.
- Reserve elevator if moving from an apartment.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs and clothing and have them wrapped for moving.
- Plan ahead for special needs of infants.
- Collect valuables from safe-deposit box. Make copies of any important documents before mailing or hand carry them to your new address.
- Check with your insurance agent to ensure you’ll be covered through your homeowner’s or renter’s policy during the move.
- Defrost freezer and refrigerator. Place deodorizer inside to control odors.
- Give a close friend or relative your travel route and schedule so you may be reached if needed.
- Prune indoor plants to facilitate packing. Consult a florist or a plant book for instructions.
- Confirm any moving companies, travel plans, or reservations you may have made for moving day.
On Moving Day
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves, attic and garage to be sure they are empty.
- Carry important documents, currency and jewelry yourself, or use registered mail.
- Carry traveler’s checks for quick available funds.
After Arriving At Your New Home
- Renew your driver’s license, auto registration and tags.
- Revise your will and other legal papers to avoid longer probate and higher legal fees.
- Locate the hospitals, police stations, veterinarian and fire stations near your home.
Important Phone Numbers
– Budget Truck Rental. 1-800-BUDGET2 / 1-800-283-4382 | budgettruck.com
-U-Haul. 1-800-468-4285 | uhaul.com
-Verizon. (410) 954-6230 | verizon.com
-AT&T. 1-800-MOVE ATT | att.com
-Baltimore Gas and Electric. (410) 685-0123 | BGE.com
-School Registration. (410) 887-4215
-United States Postal Service. 1-800-275-8777 | USPS.com
-Comcast Cable. (410) 427-9600 | comcast.com
-ADT. 1-800-238-2727 | adt.com
-Call One Switch (To Move Your Magazines). 1-800-479-6207
Relocation Essentials Website Link (iframe?)